Venable is the only major law firm with a team of attorneys who focus exclusively on representing corporations and individuals under investigation for possible criminal violations of environmental laws. We represent clients at every stage of criminal enforcement. This includes conducting internal investigations, responding to search warrants and grand jury subpoenas, dealing with investigators and prosecutors, negotiating plea agreements and, if necessary, handling the matter through trial, sentencing and appeal.
Maritime and Spill Response Management.
Vessel owners and operators of marine facilities call us for help in dealing with oil pollution issues and for assistance in avoiding criminal, civil and administrative sanctions for water pollution, hazardous material transportation and marine safety violations.
We work closely with the Coast Guard and EPA to resolve issues of financial responsibility or liability resulting from oil and chemical spills. We have represented clients under investigation by the Coast Guard, the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and state agencies.
Chemical Safety Board, other Administrative Panels and Congressional Investigations
Often in the evolution of a federal criminal investigation, parallel administrative or congressional inquiries can exponentially impact the outcome of a criminal case. Venable lawyers with experience at these agencies or as former members of Congress, congressional staff, or in the executive branch, particularly at the Department of Justice, work together to increase a positive outcome in all forums.
Recent corporate clients have included:
- one of the world's largest cruise lines;
- a market leader in the petroleum maritime shipping industry;
- one of the nation's largest manufacturers of cast iron pipes;
- a multi-national steel company;
- a FORTUNE 50 waste-management company;
- a leading manufacturer of farm equipment;
- one of the nation's largest sugar refineries;
- several of the top defense contractors;
- a major pharmaceutical company; and many individuals including:
- a senior environmental manager
- the president of a chemical company
- a member of the judiciary