You want your message to get out, on budget and without unpleasant regulatory surprises. Venable can help make that happen.
We have one of the foremost postal practices in the United States. Our clients include Fortune 100 companies, smaller businesses, postal trade associations and nonprofit organizations. These entities account for the majority of the mail sent in the United States.
The co-chairs of our practice have 70 years of combined experience in postal law. Our team is knowledgeable about every major issue a mailer is likely to face, in every major class of mail.
We make sense of the maze of rules
The better you can navigate the postal rules, the better you can minimize your postal costs and avoid costly extra charges weeks or months after your mailings go out. We can help. Drawing on our decades of experience, we provide guidance in:
- Move Update and other preparation requirements;
- requirements for presort discounts and other worksharing discounts;
- content requirements for First-Class Mail, Standard Mail, Periodicals Mail, Parcel and Media Mail, and Nonprofit Mail;
- internal compliance audits;
- resolving conflicts between postal regulations vs. privacy and other laws;
- Organizational eligibility for nonprofit postal permits;
- Negotiated Service Agreements;
- the legal safeguards against undue discrimination among mailers by the Postal Service;
- licensing intellectual property from the Postal Service;
- selling goods or services to the Postal Service; and
- buying or selling a publisher, catalog mailer, printer, mail house, or mail services supplier.
When the Postal Inspector comes knocking
Sometimes a mailer finds itself the target of an investigation or enforcement action. When that happens, Venable is prepared to respond. We help mailers respond to subpoenas, investigations and enforcement actions by the Postal Service, the Postal Inspection Service, and the U.S. Department of Justice, including:
- Adverse eligibility rulings before a mailing is sent;
- Subpoenas and investigations by the Postal Inspection Service concerning past mailings;
- False Claims Act investigations and litigation, including qui tam lawsuits;
- revenue deficiency assessments and appeals; and
- permit revocations.
We will help you design and execute the best response, whether litigation, settlement or self-reporting.
Advocates for the industry
The lawyers in our postal practice advocate not only for individual mailers but also for the industry. We regularly represent leading postal trade associations and major mailers in issues of industry-wide concern.
We appear regularly before the Postal Regulatory Commission, the Postal Service, the federal appellate courts, and Congress. We have represented clients in every major postal rate case since the late 1970s.
The litigation experience of the co-chairs of the postal practice group includes more than 100 cases before the Commission and other federal and state regulatory commissions, and more than 50 reported cases in the federal courts.
Our clients can also rely on Venable's depth in related areas of the law. We draw support from attorneys who concentrate in administrative law, advertising and marketing law, antitrust and trade regulation, appellate litigation, criminal law, employment law, False Claims Act cases, insurance law, legislative advocacy, nonprofit organizations and taxation.
Our foremost goal is to help our clients distribute their messages to customers and consumers.