VENABLE: A LEADER IN TRADEMARKS WITH GLOBAL REACH
Your brand is your gateway to the world, and trademark law is the primary vehicle for protecting your brand. Venable is a global, award-winning leader in trademark law. We provide a wide range of legal services – from registration to licensing and litigation – to protect and leverage the use of your brand through trademarks, trade dress, social media and domain names. Venable understands that trademark assets are unique, and we know how to address a client’s objectives with practical, efficient guidance, designed to accomplish its commercial goals.
Venable’s trademark team – bolstered by five former USPTO trademark examiners and two former in-house counsel – has for years been a leader in trademark filings. In addition to Venable’s national first-tier ranking in U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" 2011-2012, we ranked in the top 20 law firms in terms of applications filed and registrations issued, based on annual rankings issued from 2007-2011 by Trademark Insider/World Trademark Review and among the top 10 law firms by Intellectual Property Today 2012. Venable’s trademark practice continues to be recognized by World Trademark Review 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals among the top groups in the United States – DC Metro area. Several partners have also earned individual rankings.
Our trademark practice is world-class, managing 36,000 trademark applications/registrations, including full domestic and international portfolios for leading companies.
Venable’s international trademark experience extends to six continents through an established network of foreign counsel. Our practitioners are well versed in filing under the Madrid Protocol and in its benefits and costs. We frequently advise clients regarding the most effective and cost-efficient means of providing trademark protection in foreign markets, including recordation of licensing agreements for better brand enforcement. We also assist in coordinating and managing trademark disputes worldwide, including opposition and cancellation proceedings, and litigation before foreign courts.
Members of our trademark group have been elected to positions in international trademark organizations, such as INTA and Marques, the European Trademark Owners Association. Through these organizations, we have become familiar with other legal systems and have built strong personal and professional relationships with top foreign lawyers around the globe.
- Venable manages the international trademark portfolio of one of the world’s leading mobile phone manufacturers, including contentious and non-contentious matters, domain name counseling and dispute resolution, and advertising review and clearance.
- Venable manages and enforces the global trademark portfolio of a leading global higher-education company.
- Venable is responsible for global trademark prosecution and enforcement, including anti-counterfeiting, for Playboy. The portfolio covers over 10,000 marks in 190 countries.
- Venable manages and maintains the full range of trademark work, including portfolio management and copyright work, for a global investment management firm.
- Venable provides strategic planning for worldwide protection of primary brands to a major American film and television production company.
- Venable represented Arianna Huffington in negotiating intellectual property aspects of the sale of The Huffington Post to AOL.
- Venable manages the trademark portfolio of Perdue Farms Inc., the third-largest poultry company in the United States, including contentious and non-contentious disputes, domain name counseling, and advertising review and clearance.
- Venable helped a fast-casual restaurant successfully register its key brand in the European Community. This ended a seven-year battle to register the name.
- Venable manages the international trademark portfolio of a European hotel chain.
- Venable, working with local European counsel, helped win an important appeal for one of the world’s leading mobile phone manufacturers in its bid to register a rare motion trademark in the European Community.
- Venable stopped a sham technology outsourcing company from using our client’s well-known Internet hosting brand on Facebook to attract victims to its business and websites.
- Venable obtained a temporary restraining order, a permanent injunction and $100,000 damages to shut down an online trademark infringement in which a Ponzi-scheme operator in Iran was impersonating a hedge-fund client.
- Venable fended off a motion for a temporary restraining order which would have prevented its client from applying for a key new global top-level domain.
- Venable prevailed after a full trial on the merits and post-trial briefing at the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board to cancel a registration for a tequila trademark on behalf of a client with earlier rights in a similar mark for rum.